The discrimination against non-heterosexual couples that is inherent in this disgusting amendment is bad enough, but there are many other effects that many voters are unaware of. If you think this is just a gay rights issue, you are wrong. If you are voting “For” Amendment One because you are morally opposed to homosexuality, you need a reality check. Amendment One DOESN’T just affect homosexuals. It affects children, unmarried women, and the elderly. It affects every unmarried couple in North Carolina whether the people in that couple are gay or straight.
Amendment One is a disgusting misuse of power that aims to oppress people who don’t have the same religious values as those that are in dominant culture. The intended results of Amendment One that pertain to homosexuality alone DESTROY the idea of separation of church and state. The idea that homosexuality is a “sin” and is not moral is a religious one. There are far too many conservatives these days trying to stick their religion where it doesn’t belong. Keep your religion out of my schools, my marriage, and my vagina! Everyone is entitled to his or her own beliefs. What everyone is NOT entitled to is shoving those beliefs down the throats of everyone they possibly can. What angers me the most is that so many so called “Christians” aren’t even familiar with their own religious text. The idea that homosexuality is a sin comes primarily from the book of Leviticus in the Old Testament. Also in Leviticus but rarely mentioned:
- Animal sacrifices are an appropriate and even necessary way to atone for wrong-doing
- It’s a sin to eat pork or rabbits
- Any sea-animal that doesn’t have fins or scales is an abomination. It is a sin to eat these things.
- After a woman has a baby, this makes her unclean and she isn’t allowed to touch anything holy or go to church for thirty days if it’s a boy and two weeks if it’s a girl.
- Periods = impurity and sickness
- Women are property- “The nakedness of thy father’s wife shalt thou not uncover: it is thy father’s nakedness.”
- ” Thou shalt not oppress thy neighbor, nor rob him”
- Love your neighbor as yourself (NOT love your neighbor as yourself if and only if he or she is just like you)
- No beard trimming
- No tattoos or piercings
- No masturbation
- If a man has sex with a woman who is on her period, they must both be shunned
- No head shaving allowed
- If the daughter of a priest has unmarried sex, you should burn her alive
I could really REALLY keep going, but I think I’ve made my point. Besides, you don’t even want to get me started on rape in the Bible.
Instead, here is some very important information for you to read about the very REAL effects of Amendment One:
- A child of an unmarried parent could lose their health care and prescription drug coverage.
- A child could be taken away from a committed parent who has loved them their entire life if something happens to the other parent.
- It threatens existing child custody and visitation rights that are designed to protect the best interests of a child.
- Amendment One would interfere with protections for unmarried couples to visit one another in the hospital and to make emergency medical and financial decisions if one partner is incapacitated.
- Families could lose their health insurance and prescription benefits, putting each other and their children in harm’s way.
- Any couple that isn’t married could have their legal protections revoked.
- Preventing the state from extending civil unions and domestic partnerships means more families face child custody challenges and financial burdens. We should make it easier for NC families—not harder
- Passing down of a family’s legacy and prosperity could be invalidated by the amendment.
- Only married women would qualify for domestic violence protections. Unmarried women would be left vulnerable to their attackers and stalkers.
- Women in Ohio have already been through this. When Ohio’s amendment passed, which was less dangerously broad than Amendment One, abusers were released from jail and cases were thrown out of court.
- Single women would not receive the justice and protections they count on and deserve. We need to step up for our daughters, sisters, and friends.
- A single or widowed senior couple could be forced to marry to keep their legal protections, which would cause them to lose benefits such as pensions, health care, and social security.
Check out http://www.protectallncfamilies.org/the-truth for more information!